Buying Silver Jewelry: Top Tips
Silver jewelry is super popular these days. And why wouldn’t it be? It’s affordable, resilient and comes in tons of fun designs. But with so many options out there, how do you know where to get the best stuff? Never fear, dear silver lover. Buying silver jewelry is easy with these top tips.
- Find something unique. What you wear should be as unique as you are. If you go the mass-produced route, you’ll be getting the same boring piece as the woman sitting next to you on the subway. An anonymous, impersonal, homogenous copy. A dime a dozen. So when you’re buying silver jewelry, think about your own personal style, the clothing you wear and the purpose of the piece you’re looking for. The great thing about silver is that you can wear a classic simple piece every day. But if you want something for a special occasion, you can find a silver piece that holds a gemstone instead. (Bonus: Choose one with your birthstone or element for something even more unique.)
- Seek out quality. Real sterling silver is always stamped! When you see .925 on silver jewelry, that ensures that it’s 92.5% real, pure, honest-to-goodness silver. Anything less than that 92.5% won’t keep its silver colour for long. At Novon, all of our silver is guaranteed pure. Another sign of good quality jewelry: Strong clasps, sturdy earring posts, tight butterflies and durable chains that won’t kink.
- Stretch your budget. A great way to make your silver jewelry choices even more affordable that they already are is to purchase interchangeable pieces. That way, you won’t have to spend too much on tons of different pieces but it will still look like you did. Some ideas: A bracelet with charms, a single silver necklace with interchangeable pendants to switch up daily, or stackable rings that can also be worn on separate fingers for a different look. Jewelry swaps like these make your collection truly customizable.
- Get a source you trust. Whether you’re buying online or in store, it’s always important to find a jeweler you trust. Some people prefer a bricks and mortar location for their jewelry shopping experience because they can actually touch and feel the pieces before purchasing. Others like the convenience that online shopping offers. It saves time, offers a wider selection and allows for comparison shopping. So if you’re shopping online, always read online reviews before you purchase.
- Take care of it. Once you have your silver in hand, you have to take care of it to make it last. That’s because silver reacts to air and other substances, making it blacken and tarnish over time. Unlike other corrosion like rust, tarnish doesn’t actually damage your silver jewelry. It’s easy to fix! To keep your pieces looking as good as new, buy a jewelry cleaner or even just wipe your silver with a cloth at the first signs of tarnish.